VA Benefit Overview
Provided by Senior Living Advisors Ltd.
Aid and Attendance Veteran Benefit/Pension Program
Allegheny County, PA American Legion, (412) 395-6230
Beaver County, PA VA Office, (724) 770-4452
Butler County, PA VA Office, (724) 284-5352
Westmoreland County, PA
Gov. Vet Outreach & Assist. Ctr. (724) 830-3530
Washington County, PA VA Office (724) 228-6865
Greenville County SC, VA Center, (864) 467-7230
Spartanburg County SC, VA Center, (864) 596-2553
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED FOR VETERAN:
- Discharge Papers (original or certified with Courthouse seal only)
- 1099’s or other proof of annual income.
- Letter from facility where claimant lives, including date of arrival / admission,monthly rate, or letter indicating cost of services provided by caregiver
- Voided blank check from claimant’s checking account.
- Proof of medical expenses.
- Proof of Identity (social security card, birth certificate, or similar documentation may be required)
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR SPOUSE:
- All of the above, plus marriage certificate (copy acceptable).
- Net Worth must be less than $129,094.
- Add up all countable/non-exempt assets + Annual Income (adjusted gross income) – Subtract Unreimbursed Medical Expenses (UMEs) = Net Worth
- UME = on-going out of pocket medical expenses (e.g. not covered by health insurance).
- Does not include primary residence or vehicle until sold.
- 3 year look back period
- Veteran must have served at least one day during wartime.
- If you cannot locate discharge papers, order online at: http://vetrecs.archives.gov
- If Veteran is alive, he / she is the only person who can file—family can assist.
- If Veteran is deceased, spouse can apply, and supply copy of Veteran’s death certificate.
- Form 21-526 for Veteran and Form 21-534 for Widow requires 2 witnesses.
- Additional benefits may be available if Veteran sustained war-time injury.
- Benefits will be paid retroactive to the 1st day of the first full month in which the application was submitted.
–Example: Applications submitted in May, approved benefits begin June 1.
- Process typically takes 6 months or more for VA to approve benefits.
- Obtain all necessary forms from your local VA office.
A printable copy of the VA Benefit Overview is available below:
Click Here for the VA Benefit Overview